Nilanjan Mitra , Ph.D.
Computational and Structural Mechanics, Constitutive Modeling, Finite Element Methods, Structural Analysis and Design (both reinforced concrete and steel), Continuum Mechanics, Damage Mechanics, Fracture Mechanics, Numerical Methods, Composite Structures, Parallel Computing.
|Ph.D., Civil Engineering
||Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering , University of Wahsington, Seattle
|M. Tech, Ocean Engineering
||Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India and Technische Universitat, Darmstadt, Germany
|B.E., Civil Engineering
||Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur, West Bengal, India
Research Proposals Submitted and Funded:
- A novel model for sandwich panels in marine structures: face plate with shear keys. ---- P.I. --- Funded by Office
of Naval Research --- Amount $56,000; January 2008- January 2009. [ONR #N00014-07-1-1152].
- Modeling, analysis and design of structural components. --- Funded by CalPoly San Luis Obispo Honors
Program. Amount $5000 for Winter and Spring Quarter 2008.
- Influence of skew in shear loading distribution of skewed in plan concrete multi-cell box-girder bridges. ---- P.I. -
-- Funding Agency: CalTrans (submitted: Nov 9th 2007 and unfunded)
- Reduction of skin-core delamination from the core in the composite sandwich panels for naval structures. --- P.I. -
-- (Submitted: May 21st 2008 to Office of Naval Research).
- Segmental concrete pavements: an innovative, sustainable and efficient alternative to conventional concrete
and/or asphalt pavements. --- P.I. – (Submitted: June 11th 2008 to Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute)
Referred Journal Publicatons:
Martin, J., Stanton, J., Mitra, N., and Lowes, L. N. (2007). “Experimental testing to determine concrete fracture
energy using simple laboratory test setup.” ACI Materials Journal, 104(6), 575-584.
Mitra, N., and Lowes, L.N. (2007). “Evaluation, calibration and verification of a reinforced concrete beam-column
joint model.” Journal of Structural Engineering ASCE, 133(1), 105-120.
Lowes, L. N., Altoontash, A., and Mitra, N. (2005). "Closure to "Modeling Reinforced Concrete Beam-Column Joints
Subjected to Cyclic Loading" by Lowes, L.N. and Altoontash, A." Journal of Structural Engineering ASCE, 131(6),
Hagedorn, P., Mitra, N., and Hadulla, T. (2002). “Vortex-excited vibrations in bundled conductors: A
mathematical model.” Journal of Fluids and Structures, 16(7), 843-854.